Re: [Az-Geocaching] Boy, Did I Mess Up!

+ (text/html)
Author: Loran Wilcox
To: listserv
New-Topics: [Az-Geocaching] Black Lights
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Boy, Did I Mess Up!
MessageThese are the guidelines for the Manistee National Forest here in Michigan. Thought I would pass these on to AZ to show that not all managers are against geocaching. But as rule 5 states "Caches are strictly forbidden in a Wilderness area" which seems to be a national decision.

Loran (Team Sand Dollar)

The Officials at Manistee National Forest have granted permission for Geocaching to continue within their borders provided we follow the guidelines supplied below. It is important that we make sure that any geocaches inside Manistee National Forest are in compliance with these guidelines. If you have a cache, or know of a cache, that is not in compliance with these guidelines, please contact MiGO with details about the cache. Please include details on which guideline the cache violates so that we can help to contact the owner and provide suggestions for bringing the cache into compliance, or to work with Manistee and the geocache listing sites to retrieve and archive the cache in question.
1.. Respect the trails that exist, and do not create any new ones.
2.. Do not overwhelm the Forest with our presence and maintain a limit of 30 caches in the Manistee National Forest.
3.. Ensure the caches are not a "permanent" item. Move your cache at least 300 yards away from the previous location at least once annually.
4.. Make sure that you properly maintain your cache! Looted or abandoned caches become litter.
5.. Caches are strictly forbidden in a Wilderness area.
6.. Do continue to enjoy and promote both Geocaching and the Manistee National Forest!
7.. As always; "Cache In, Trash Out"!