[Az-Geocaching] RE AZ fauna

Bill Nolan bill at freeholder.com
Sat Sep 8 22:12:32 MST 2007

Yes, it is said that everything in AZ is poisonous or has thorns.  Wednesday night we came home to find a 2.5’ diamondback on our front porch.  We both walked by about a foot away – he was hidden – but then he sounded off.  Now, we don’t live in the city.  In our backyard we have javalina nightly, and have seen bobcats, coyotes, mountain lions, coati mundis, etc.  We have seen bear tracks, but never the bear, although my neighbor caught one breaking into his rabbit hutch.  My brother, who lives next door, swears he saw a jaguar leaving my pond one night.  They are known to be found in the Winchester mountains, a mile away, so it’s possible.  In dry weather, my pond is the only permanent source of water in the area.

Bill in Willcox