[Az-Geocaching] Was Garmin 76CS now Jeeps

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Wed May 3 10:53:50 MST 2006

>From: "George Harris" <george at customcals.com>
>To: <listserv at azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Was Garmin 76CS now Jeeps
>Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 09:58:27 -0700
>
>Team Dodge Podge just got a "new" Jeep*: an 87 Wagoneer.  Looks like a
>Cherokee, but upscaled interior and Dana 44 rear axle stock. Also has 4
>doors, makes it easy for the knuckleheads to get in and out for those
>cache-and-dash moves.
>
>I like the Cherokee-style package a lot for desert wheeling.  Small, but
>longer wheelbase, good room inside, narrow for the box canyons,  and a
>million and one aftermarket goodies for them, limited only by your wallet.
>I can fit my kids in there, and still have room for camping stuff. Good
>power in the 4.0 six, and decent mileage. Pretty robust drivetrain, again
>limited only by your wallet.
>
>I bought mine in very good condition 5 days ago for $750. Already has a 4"
>lift, limited slip rear, and newer engine.  They are a good value in 4x4s
>right now.
>
>* Technically still a Mopar.
>
>-TDP

I would pick up one of those old military pickup trucks. The military used
Chevy 1 ton single cab trucks. They had Dana 60's in the front and a GM 14
bolt in the rear. These are the toughest axles around and they are nearly
bulletproof. Also, many of these trucks used the NP205 transfer case. Again,
the most bulletproof factory t-case made. These trucks are extremely tough
and ready to hit the trails, even in their stock form. They had 4.56 gears
and a 4 speed manual tranny. Excellent for off roading. Of course, it
wouldnt hurt to put a suspension lift kit on it. Other than that,
aftermarket parts are relatively cheap and readily available. You can get
these old trucks at auctions pretty darn cheap. Although, I think they might
be getting popular, as several 4x4 magazines have showcased them recently.
Throw lockers in both diff's and there isnt anywhere you cant take one of
these trucks. These 1 ton GM trucks are built tough and the frames are
solid. Of course, a straight front axle is the only way to go, imho. IFS
suspensions are just that... Inferior Front Suspension. :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind