[Az-Geocaching] Was Garmin 76CS now Jeeps now general 4x4

George Harris george at customcals.com
Wed May 3 12:40:14 MST 2006

A military CUCV is certainly a worthy 4-wheeler, but not the most user
friendly.  Lack of A/C and standard cabs make them more suited to hardcore
wheelers.  I wouldn't recommend them to a family out caching, but I would to
somebody looking to build a stout truck.

I have been impressed with the little Cherokees all the times I've been out
wheeling the mighty Ramus. I have a couple of friends who own them
(including the one I bought) and we've done some pretty hardcore trails.  I
was shocked to see them follow my truck, with its 14" of wheel travel,
lockers front and rear, 33" X-terrain tires, pretty much everywhere I went.
That includes Crown King, Camino Del Diablo, and some tough stuff in the
Superstitions.  They both had pretty much street tires, no lockers, and no
lift.  Yet, they never got stuck, went everywhere I could, and back at the
highway, they put it in 2Hi, clicked on the AC, and tooled back home in
smooth overdrive comfort.  Pretty cool.   Meanwhile I vibrate home at 3200
RPM shaking like crazy on unbalanced tires getting about 3 MPG.

Why, yes, Brian, I can beat that.  How about a fuel-injected 360 Mopar, A518
(overdrive) transmission, NV241 transfercase, and all the rest of the
chassis it's connected to, for $0?  The TBI now runs in the Ramus, as will
soon the 518 and the 241.  It already has D60s front and rear.

Your Jeep sounds pretty impressive now. You have come a long way since the
day we installed the lockers in my driveway, and tested them in the Patented
Test Ditch.

> I would pick up one of those old military pickup trucks. The military used
> Chevy 1 ton single cab trucks. They had Dana 60's in the front and a GM 14
> bolt in the rear. These are the toughest axles around and they are nearly
> bulletproof. Also, many of these trucks used the NP205 transfer case.
Again,