[Az-Geocaching] REI experience

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:21:32 MST 2006

Arizona State Trust land is open to geocaching as long as everyone involved.
Hider and Finders have a state trust land permit. I know. I have talked to
the office down here alot

BLM is ok, IF you ask permission and notify them of the location first.
Read this website:
http://www.blm.gov/az/geocache.htm

They have four simple rules that Must be followed to have a cache on BLM
property:
[image: game rules]

   - Identify proposed cache locations to the local BLM office before
   placing a cache
   - Do not place caches at archaeological sites
   - Obtain a BLM permit for any competitive events, contests for prizes,
   paid participation, or caches hosted by commercial business
   - Advise BLM if you observe any misuse or abuse of a cache location

Wilderness areas are a no-no.
Indian Lands area  no-no
Military property is a no-no..

 It is actually very simple:
Per groundspeak:

* To hide a new geocache in your area...*

Please make sure to obtain permission from the landowner or land manager and
read the guidelines for reporting a
cache<http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx> prior
to placing your geocache.

and

By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate
permission to hide your cache in the selected location.

 So basically if you placed a cache and did not ask permission from the land
manager or notify someone you were placing it then you have already violated
Groundspeaks rules.

 As for this person at REI.. He might want to be very careful. If you
remember his name I would very much like to know what it is. I have a friend
in California who works for REI as a paid geocacher Yep.. He gets paid to
take people out and teach them caching.. Paid by REI...

 So if you know this individuals name are REI, I would love to pass it along
to my buddy in Cali and seem what the discussion becomes. If you go back
into REI and he is there, I really would like to know his name.

 Hope this helps.