[Az-Geocaching] a better way!!

Erika Manning geo_gypsy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 29 17:46:00 MST 2005

OK I figured it out.....and it is working correctly in GSAK now.
I have to run a pocket query in order to get the GPX file. (sorry if someone said that earlier and I missed it).  I was just downloading each page when I would do a search from my home coordinance which was the LOC file....... Now time to go shopping for a PDA!!

Thank you

AZcachemeister <azcachemeister at getnet.com> wrote:
Sounds as if you are not getting .GPX files, are you a 'Premium' Member? The .loc files available to non-members have much less info included, but I think these basic details are there.
Is the distance unit problem in your GPSr or on your computer? I'm pretty sure you could have the unit of measure set to Km in GSAK, and still get miles on your GPS if it was set up that way.
I, and probably several others will be happy to arrange a demonstration/seminar at the upcoming event, or sooner if necessary.

Erika Manning wrote: I have an ETrex Vista C.        When I download via GSAK, which I just downloaded from GC.com for free. I do not get info such as mileage from my house (it is in km and I can not figure out how to change it to miles), difficalty/terrain rating or notes.

I am currently killing trees and would like not to be doing so.  If I get the basic boring PDA how will the info I mentioned above get into it since it is not in the GSAK progam? Will it also add the description info of the cache and the hints.....Is there anything that will not show up on the PDA?
Thanks
Erika........Geo Gypsy
AZcachemeister <azcachemeister at getnet.com> wrote:
You will need to become a 'premium member' ($3/Month or $30/year) of Geocaching.com to receive .gpx files either individually for each cache page, or in groups via Pocket Queries. The .gpx file contains all the information found on the first page of a cache listing, including the five most recent logs.

Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) is an awesome program, available for a 30 day free trial, and now $20 to register (still WAY worth the $20!)  With GSAK you can sort, weed through, manipulate, view, arrange, and modify cache listings into manageable groups for upload to your GPSr and/or PDA (you could probably get a decent PDA off EBay for $25, or you could spend $350 for the latest model) .

For the PDA, you will need a copy of CacheMate (also has free trial, currently $8 to register) to view the information uploaded from GSAK. Again, you will have the co-ordinates, difficulty, owner comments, and the first five finder logs as well as a space to record the date, time and your comments for your find on the cache.

Once registered both GSAK and CacheMate include free upgrades for life. Both developers are constantly improving their products to include user-requested features.

No trees are killed in this process, but a bunch of electrons are highly inconvenienced!
Cache On!

Azpaul1 wrote: Since you mentioned mapsource, I am assuming that you have and using a Garmin gps unit. The only gps that I know off that lets you download all the page info. is a Garmin I-Que.

Until just recently, I too used your method of entering waypoints and in the  last couple of months have, with some help of close friends, I have gone paperless. The answer sounds very complicated, but once everything is set up it is a snap to use.

First, I set up a series of pocket queries that I run weekly. I then load them into a waypoint management database called GSAK (the best $8.00 I have spent, I might add).

GSAK , allows me to load the waypoints into my 60C and the page info. into a PDA.

Like I said earlier, it sounds complicated, but once everything is set up it is a snap to use. With the PDA, I don't have to carry a clip board full of printout's to rummage through for the info that I need and I can enter notes  about the cache I just found.

I hope this helps,
Paul aka "AZPAUL"