[Az-Geocaching] a better way!!

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Wed Sep 28 08:31:22 MST 2005

I use Watcher, a FREE program for manipulating the .gpx files and prepping
them for transfer to CacheMate and eventual download to the PDA.  Watcher
allows you to look at GC, name, coords, difficulty, as well as see the
status of the last 5 finds by icon.  You can call pretty much all the
information up in smaller windows if you want cache page description, etc,
and the GC links directly to the gc.com page for the cache itself.  You can
filter by direction/distance (I believe on the latter), and difficulty as
well to tailor the results to suit your needs.  It saves the updated .gpx,
then CacheMate is used to convert it to a .pdb file for download to the PDA.

The choice to convert to paperless was easy.  One week, I printed over 40
pages of cache info to go out and find.  Another week I printed another 50.
Then I started looking for a way out of that, because it would get too
expensive too fast.  Now, I couldn't be happier.  Two pieces of electronic
equipment are my staples now, along with trinkets/water/talking sticks, but
all much less cumbersome than all that PLUS paper.

Brian

Team A.I.

  _____