[Az-Geocaching] GPS Sensitivity

Tim Giron tgiron at cox.net
Mon Mar 14 19:56:09 MST 2005

"The GPS signal strength measured at the surface of the Earth is
about -160dBw (1 x 10^-16 watts), which is roughly equivalent to
viewing a 25-watt light bulb from a distance of 10,000 miles."

Since it is a pretty weak signal, it is hampered by just about
anything that is denser than air!  I have definitely seen the
precision degrade under a dense canopy of trees and in canyons (both
natural and manmade).  A concentration of overhead power lines will
also give you fits (anybody have a link to a good explanation of the
physics of that phenomenon?)

Tim
Team AZFastFeet