[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino130

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 30 20:10:24 MST 2005

Does anyone own a Garmin Rino130 or has anyone used them? I would obviously
trust the GPS abilities of it, but I wonder about the radio. How good is the
range on them? It says it has FRS 2 mile and GMRS 5 mile. I understand the
tracking of someone else using a Rino130/120/110 is possible as long as they
are within radio range (when they transmit is starts to send signals every
few seconds to update their position on your map).

If no one has used these.... I would be curious to know more about GMRS
radios and how well they work in different environments and what kind of
range they have proven to get. I know they are "5 mile range"... but
realistically they may get much more (or much less?).

I use Motorola 2 way radios for ballooning currently and they are VHF 1
watt, 1 channel. They advertise 2 mile range.... but I can talk to another
balloon in the sky (line of sight) over 35 miles away! Will GMRS do this?

I am considering purchasing a couple of Garmin Rino 130's for ballooning...
one for the chase vehicle and one for in the air. They would also work great
for geocaching when out with a teammate caching.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind