[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino130

Scott Wood scott at myblueheaven.com
Sat Apr 30 22:34:09 MST 2005

At 08:10 PM 4/30/2005, you wrote:

>If no one has used these.... I would be curious to know more about GMRS
>radios and how well they work in different environments and what kind of
>range they have proven to get. I know they are "5 mile range"... but
>realistically they may get much more (or much less?).

I have been using GMRS radios for a long time now.  For basic stuff they
are pretty good, and they are cheap.  The "5 mile" range is under perfect,
line of sight conditions.  They might actually work well in ballooning
since you are normally in line of sight with your chase crew.

There are new GMRS radios that I just heard of from Midland that are
actually 5 watt and Midland claims that they are the only ones out there
with 5 watt transmitters.