[Az-Geocaching] RE: forwarded forum post about micro/urban caches

Fri, 6 Aug 2004 08:21:58 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C47B8E.71168410

I have to say I didn't like micros at first.  I didn't know why ANYONE =
would want to do anything other than 4WD after a cache!  The views were =
what I wanted to see when I reached a cache.  I wanted trails.  Some of =
the most interesting caches I have done recently have been micros =
though.  I guess it's all in the skill of the person doing the hide.  I =
don't like the magnet-under-a-newspaper-box as much, but there are a few =
that I think the hider actually had a really good idea with.

It's like Easter Egg hunting as a kid.  When you were young they were =
"hidden" on the ground spread out in the yard.  As you got tougher the =
hiders adjusted with you and their experience level at hiding increased =
to putting them in tree branches or whatever.  Now we're all like a =
group of kids with a wide range of ages.  There's caches hidden out =
there for all age groups.  My father-in-law couldn't find a 1/1.5 =
yesterday on his third trip out to find it, but then again it was his =
first cache.  I'm glad he has some easy ones.

I think maybe a user rating system on the caches might help people sort =
them out.  Next to the hider's diff/terr rating could be the finder's =
rating.  It could be based on experience level suggested and level of =
fun at finding the cache.  We already have a way to write a quick review =
to the hider on what we thought/suggest about the hide.  Maybe an =
average of ratings by users would be helpful, too.

I still like hiking after a cache a lot, but having some for a quick =
grab (or not so quick puzzle to work on with the family) is great to get =
my family interested and give me something to do when my wife takes me =
shopping!

Noah from Team J
=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20