[Az-Geocaching] forwarded forum post about micro/urban caches.. from Daniel J. Karam

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 08:32:49 -0700 (MST)

Hey Gale and the list,

I just wanted to say that I agree with Gale for much the same reason
that she has stated ...I am not physically capable of doing most of
the "harder, rural" caches. (I also learned this week that in the
summer I have to put a time limit on the Phoenix urban ones due to the
heat!)

One of the best things about geocaching is the variety and you can
PICK which kind of caches you want to do. Isn't that wonderful?
Activities that all kinds of people can enjoy! What could be better?

>From my recent placement of some "urban" (one could hardly call
Prescott Valley ~ urban) but "urban style" caches...I will say that
the planning and placement of good urban caches (and they have all
already been found and most dubbed "VERY GOOD") is MUCH HARDER than
placing a rural cache (except for maybe a real, real long hike). Most
"rural" caches aren't that far from the road, so since I have hidden a
number of BOTH kinds of caches, I can say with some credibility that
it is much harder to plan an urban hide that you hope will last
awhile, than to walk a half mile up a trail head and put an ammo box
or tupperware under a pile of rocks. That takes almost no skill. I
like BOTH kinds of caches and I am not criticiziing either, I am just
saying that the "urban" ones are not easy to hide if done well.

Also, as a general statement, I think it is logical that people with
cache HIDING EXPERIENCE (of any kinds) have the credibility to judge
about what is hard or easy to do. How can you know all the in's and
out's of what it takes to put out a decent cache unless you have
hidden a number of them? It isn't as easy as it may seem, and then you
get criticized! No wonder that a few of the folks who started out
hiding alot of caches have QUIT! (libby, Lincoln, almost me on several
occasions).

Chris LeDoux ROCKS!! by the way!

Trisha "Lightning"

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 05:21:14 -0700 (PDT), Gale wrote:

"Of course, if you live in a strictly urban setting like New York
City, you are probably resigned to microcaches, but for the majority
of us with many parks and acres of forests around, we don't have an
excuse.

Next time you place a cache......let's get back to what made us want
to go geocaching in the first place."

I had to respond to this one.

I dont have a 4 wheel drive. My back and hip injury is severe enough
that going out for a long drive and on a back road would preclude me
from any activity for awhile, not to mention being on pain meds. I am
happy that most of you can go on and enjoy these caches. My enjoyment
in geocaching comes mainly from those "despised" urban caches.

This article was written by someone who wants to return to the days
where only physically fit people have access to caches. Like it or
not, other people have become geocachers. Physically unfit people have
discovered an activity they can enjoy. I dont see why both cache types
cant co-exist? Ive seen some nice rural caches, as well as junky ones.
Same with urban caches. What made me get into geocaching was the joy
of having an activity that I could enjoy without suffering discomfort,
of still having a reason to get outside and enjoy the day. The quote
from the article reflects a mentality that little or no urban caches
should exist. Since Scott agrees with this article, Im guessing that
he doesnt think they should exist, or that more rural caches should be
placed. Please dont take this the wrong way Scott, but you do realize
that instead of complaining about the lack of rural caches and over
abundance of urban micros...that maybe you can place a fe!
 yourself? Personally I happen to like urban microcaches. I like the
challenge.

"Again, lately I have really been enjoying the occasional cache I have
found as I have been really only doing wilderness hiking caches around
Sedona. They are my kind of fun."

Thats great Scott, but it is not my idea of fun. Feel free to play
your way. I cant do those kinds of caches. Ever since falling down
stairs 12 yrs ago, I have not had the mobility I used to have. I would
like to continue to play the game my way without feeling like an
unwelcome outsider. I dont complain about all the 4 wheel drive caches
or the mountaintop caches that I can never get to. Please stop
complaining about the caches I can enjoy. Geocaching should be a game
for all kinds of people.
		Do you Yahoo!?