[Az-Geocaching] GARMIN Venture GPS technical assistance requested

Ken Akerman listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 14:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2097514026-1053294577=:89417

Hello AZ geocachers,

Yesterday, while out caching with Azcachemeister in Wickenburg, I dropped my GARMIN eTrex Venture, which I've done before without significant adverse effects. However, this time the position of the output display has been moved upwards in the screen, so I am now unable to see the top of my display view.  I am still able to record latititude and longitude, record and store waypoints and go to a waypoint; however, on the screen where I am mapping my route to the waypoint, I am unable to determine how far (in miles or feet when close) I am from the waypoint, which makes it difficult for me to determine how close I am to the waypoint.  I can pull down my menus but I cannot see the menus on the top of my display.

To visualize this, imagine you can't see the top two inches of your computer screen.  That's what I see in the display for my GPS.

Therefore, I may have to send my GPS back to Garmin to be overhauled.  However, this means I will be without my GPS next weekend, which is Memorial Day weekend and thus a weekend where I would like to be geocaching for all three days.  Therefore, I would like to ask fellow GPS enthusiasts and geocachers some questions:

1) Is there a place in the local area where I can take my GPS for repairs and get the work done by Friday, May 23?  That would be my first option, because I really don't want to be without a GPS next weekend.

2) If I do need to return the GPS to Garmin for an overhaul, then are there any members of the Geocaching community who have an extra GPS that they could loan to me for use next weekend?  I expect some geocachers do own an extra GPS, because you may have recently upgraded to a newer model but you still have your old GPS sitting around the house.

Thank you for any assistance and advice that you can provide to me.  My goal is to get my GPS fixed at a reasonable price so I can use it with full functionality next weekend.  If that is not possible and it takes more time to repair my GPS, then I would like to acquire a temporary replacement GPS unit so I will still be able to go geocaching next weekend, or use a GPS for other hikes that I do.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

--0-2097514026-1053294577=:89417

<DIV>Hello AZ geocachers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Yesterday, while out caching with Azcachemeister in Wickenburg, I dropped my <A href="http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVenture/">GARMIN eTrex Venture</A>,&nbsp;which I've done before without significant adverse effects. However, this time the position of the output display has been moved upwards in the screen, so I am now unable to see the top of my display view.&nbsp; I am still able to record latititude and longitude, record and store waypoints and go to a waypoint; however, on the screen where I am mapping my route to the waypoint, I am unable to determine how far (in miles or feet when close) I am from the waypoint, which makes it difficult for me to determine how close I am to the waypoint.&nbsp; I can pull down my menus but I cannot see the menus on the top of my display.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>To visualize this, imagine you can't see the top two inches of&nbsp;your computer screen.&nbsp; That's what I see in the display for my GPS.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Therefore, I may have to send my GPS back to Garmin to be overhauled.&nbsp; However, this means I will be without my GPS next weekend, which is Memorial Day weekend and thus a weekend where I would like to be geocaching for all three days.&nbsp; Therefore, I would like to ask fellow GPS enthusiasts and geocachers some questions:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1) Is there a place in the local area where I can take my GPS for repairs and get the work done by Friday, May 23?&nbsp; That would be my first option, because I really don't want to be without a GPS next weekend.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>2) If I do need to return the GPS to Garmin for an overhaul, then are there any members of the Geocaching community who have an extra GPS that they could loan to me for use next weekend?&nbsp; I expect some geocachers do own an extra GPS, because you may have recently upgraded to a newer model but you still have your old GPS sitting around the house.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you for any assistance and advice that you can provide to me.&nbsp; My goal is to get my GPS fixed at a reasonable price so I can use it with full functionality next weekend.&nbsp; If that is not possible and it takes more time to repair my GPS, then I would like to acquire a temporary replacement GPS unit so I will still be able to go geocaching next weekend, or use a GPS for other hikes that I do.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Ken Akerman</STRONG> (a.k.a. <STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV>
--0-2097514026-1053294577=:89417--