[Az-Geocaching] GARMIN Venture GPS technical assistance requested

Mark Heitowit listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 18 May 2003 14:59:59 -0700

--------------352FAAFC62202FE2ADBB1D54

I believe that any repair facility will send it to Garmin for repair.
While Fry's electronics had mine (under the extended warranty) they sent
it to Garmin and it tool them forever (Fry's fault not Garmin). I
finally bought one at Fry's, kept the receipt and returned it under
their 30 return policy when I got mine back. Actually mine got lost in
shipping, and they had me come in to give me a replacement. They would
not let me keep the one I had purchased, I had to return it for a
refund, so they could open up another box to give me a replacement.

So if all else fails go buy one, then return it (just don't drop it and
damage it first.)

Ken Akerman wrote:

> Hello AZ geocachers, Yesterday, while out caching with Azcachemeister
> in Wickenburg, I dropped my GARMIN eTrex Venture, which I've done
> before without significant adverse effects. However, this time the
> position of the output display has been moved upwards in the screen,
> so I am now unable to see the top of my display view.  I am still able
> to record latititude and longitude, record and store waypoints and go
> to a waypoint; however, on the screen where I am mapping my route to
> the waypoint, I am unable to determine how far (in miles or feet when
> close) I am from the waypoint, which makes it difficult for me to
> determine how close I am to the waypoint.  I can pull down my menus
> but I cannot see the menus on the top of my display. To visualize
> this, imagine you can't see the top two inches of your computer
> screen.  That's what I see in the display for my GPS. Therefore, I may
> have to send my GPS back to Garmin to be overhauled.  However, this
> means I will be without my GPS next weekend, which is Memorial Day
> weekend and thus a weekend where I would like to be geocaching for all
> three days.  Therefore, I would like to ask fellow GPS enthusiasts and
> geocachers some questions: 1) Is there a place in the local area where
> I can take my GPS for repairs and get the work done by Friday, May
> 23?  That would be my first option, because I really don't want to be
> without a GPS next weekend. 2) If I do need to return the GPS to
> Garmin for an overhaul, then are there any members of the Geocaching
> community who have an extra GPS that they could loan to me for use
> next weekend?  I expect some geocachers do own an extra GPS, because
> you may have recently upgraded to a newer model but you still have
> your old GPS sitting around the house. Thank you for any assistance
> and advice that you can provide to me.  My goal is to get my GPS fixed
> at a reasonable price so I can use it with full functionality next
> weekend.  If that is not possible and it takes more time to repair my
> GPS, then I would like to acquire a temporary replacement GPS unit so
> I will still be able to go geocaching next weekend, or use a GPS for
> other hikes that I do. Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

--------------352FAAFC62202FE2ADBB1D54

I believe that any repair facility will send it to Garmin for repair. While
Fry's electronics had mine (under the extended warranty) they sent it to
Garmin and it tool them forever (Fry's fault not Garmin). I finally bought
one at Fry's, kept the receipt and returned it under their 30 return policy
when I got mine back. Actually mine got lost in shipping, and they had
me come in to give me a replacement. They would not let me keep the one
I had purchased, I had to return it for a refund, so they could open up
another box to give me a replacement.
and damage it first.)
with Azcachemeister in Wickenburg, I dropped my <a href="http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexVenture/">GARMIN
eTrex Venture</a>, which I've done before without significant adverse effects.
However, this time the position of the output display has been moved upwards
in the screen, so I am now unable to see the top of my display view.&nbsp;
I am still able to record latititude and longitude, record and store waypoints
and go to a waypoint; however, on the screen where I am mapping my route
to the waypoint, I am unable to determine how far (in miles or feet when
close) I am from the waypoint, which makes it difficult for me to determine
how close I am to the waypoint.&nbsp; I can pull down my menus but I cannot
see the menus on the top of my display.&nbsp;To visualize this, imagine
you can't see the top two inches of your computer screen.&nbsp; That's
what I see in the display for my GPS.&nbsp;Therefore, I may have to send
my GPS back to Garmin to be overhauled.&nbsp; However, this means I will
be without my GPS next weekend, which is Memorial Day weekend and thus
a weekend where I would like to be geocaching for all three days.&nbsp;
Therefore, I would like to ask fellow GPS enthusiasts and geocachers some
questions:&nbsp;1) Is there a place in the local area where I can take
my GPS for repairs and get the work done by Friday, May 23?&nbsp; That
would be my first option, because I really don't want to be without a GPS
next weekend.&nbsp;2) If I do need to return the GPS to Garmin for an overhaul,
then are there any members of the Geocaching community who have an extra
GPS that they could loan to me for use next weekend?&nbsp; I expect some
geocachers do own an extra GPS, because you may have recently upgraded
to a newer model but you still have your old GPS sitting around the house.&nbsp;Thank
you for any assistance and advice that you can provide to me.&nbsp; My
goal is to get my GPS fixed at a reasonable price so I can use it with
full functionality next weekend.&nbsp; If that is not possible and it takes