[Az-Geocaching] You are never too old to ride a bicycle

Ken Akerman listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 12 May 2003 16:19:45 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2020397698-1052781585=:55651

Another geocacher wrote: I am nearly 50 and overweight and thoroughly enjoy the sport and COULD NEVER ride a bike again even if I wanted to. I know many people well over 50 who ride bicycles.  Some of them do century rides (100 miles or more in one day), like the El Tour de Tucson and other perimeter bike rides.  Whenever I do rides like these, it appears to me that the majority of people are older than I am, and I'm not very young (I completed my college degree in the 1980's). Also, bicycling is great exercise for losing weight.  Do not say that you could NEVER ride a bicycle again;  even severely handicapped people can ride specially-made bicycles.  For example, if you read this page you will learn about: 1) A blind cyclist who rode across America,2) A 65-year-old man who circled the perimeter of the United States (13,789 miles in 345 days), and3) A woman triathlete who is 80 years old.
--0-2020397698-1052781585=:55651

<DIV><EM>Another geocacher wrote:</EM></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>I am nearly 50 and overweight and thoroughly enjoy the sport and COULD NEVER ride a bike again even if I wanted to.</EM></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know many people well over 50 who ride bicycles.&nbsp; Some of them do century rides (100 miles or more in one day), like the <A href="http://www.pbaa.com/Home.html">El Tour de Tucson</A>&nbsp;and other perimeter&nbsp;bike rides.&nbsp; Whenever I do rides like these, it appears to&nbsp;me that the majority of people are older than I&nbsp;am, and I'm not very young (I completed my&nbsp;college degree in the 1980's).&nbsp;Also,&nbsp;bicycling is great exercise for losing weight.&nbsp; Do <U>not</U>&nbsp;say that you could NEVER ride a bicycle again;&nbsp; even severely handicapped people can ride specially-made bicycles.&nbsp; For example, if you read <A href="http://www.pbaa.com/!ETT/WhosWho.htm">this page</A> you will learn about:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>1) A blind cyclist who rode across America,</DIV>
<DIV>2) A 65-year-old man who circled the perimeter of the United States (13,789 miles in 345 days), and</DIV>
<DIV>3) A woman triathlete who is 80 years old.</DIV>
--0-2020397698-1052781585=:55651--