[Az-Geocaching] Re: Superstition Caches

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:51:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2C385.D48A1100

Disney Fanatic,

It doesn't seem as though you are looking at this rather subjectively, =
and therefore don't see our side of things in the same way.  Geocaching =
is a sport, taking place in both urban and rural settings, as you =
already know.  Most of those rural settings are lands that are =
accessible by the public, and a few narrow-minded individuals are =
apparently trying to police a sport they know very little about and =
don't care to become educated.  Sure, you may not be a 'fanatic' about =
geocaching like some of us are, and 'stats' aren't what we're talking =
about here...not in this case.  Personally, I see gecaching having 2 =
purposes.  It's the hunt for these hidden treasures, often in places I =
would have never known about otherwise.  Not only do I get some exercise =
by doing rural caches in these areas, but I have begun to learn more =
about the history of the state, as well as opened my eyes to some truly =
amazing things I may have never known about had it not been for =
geocaching.

When a government body attempts to take something away from its citizens =
with very little to no education about it first, citizens who are =
affected NEED to stand up and voice their concerns.  Where would we be =
as a society if we just sat down and let the government walk all over us =
with whatever policies/laws/rules/prohibitions that they choose =
*cough*China*cough*?  No, they aren't trying to take our MTV, or our =
guns (although that is coming), or even our choice to have a beer with =
dinner on Friday night.  My belief is that someone is on a power trip =
and is looking for something to control with that 'iron fist', expecting =
little to no resistance from those affected.  The Rangers who are =
removing these caches aren't doing it out of malice, but instead are =
acting on the orders of someone much higher up.  Can we fault them?  No, =
because they are simply doing their job(s).  However, we owe it to the =
higher-ups to educate them about the sport and make every attempt to =
work with them on placing caches so that a mutual understanding and =
respect develops between our 2 groups in order to help keep this sport =
thriving and not suffocated under government bureaucracy.

I hope this doesn't come across as a personal attack, because it wasn't. =
 In fact, I don't see how handing over a letter of apology is =
overreacting.  If anything, it is the most responsible thing a geocacher =
could do, rather than just flipping out and telling the Rangers to =
f*$#**$ for removing the caches.  Would this action not invoke a slight =
degree of respect or understanding, and possibly lay the foundation for =
a positive dialogue that could help this sport out immensely?  Also, if =
you read the other messages again, you will see that it is only =
beginning with the Superstitions.  There is talk about many/all caches =
in NFS areas being remoed as well.  Should we just stand idly by while =
this becomes reality?

Brian
Team A.I.
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2C385.D48A1100

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Disney Fanatic,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It doesn't seem as though you are =
looking at this=20
rather subjectively, and therefore don't see our side of things in the =
same=20
way.&nbsp; Geocaching is a sport, taking place in both urban and rural =
settings,=20
as you already know.&nbsp; Most of those rural settings are lands that =
are=20
accessible by the public, and a few narrow-minded&nbsp;individuals are=20
apparently trying to police a sport they know very little about and =
don't care=20
to become educated.&nbsp; Sure, you may not be a 'fanatic' about =
geocaching like=20
some of us are, and 'stats' aren't what we're talking about here...not =
in this=20
case.&nbsp; Personally, I see gecaching having 2 purposes.&nbsp; It's =
the hunt=20
for these hidden treasures, often in places I would have never known =
about=20
otherwise.&nbsp; Not only do I get some exercise by doing rural caches =
in these=20
areas, but I have begun to learn more about the history of the state, as =
well as=20
opened my eyes to some truly amazing things I may have never known about =
had it=20
not been for geocaching.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When a government body attempts to take =
something=20
away from its citizens with very little to no education about it first, =
citizens=20
who are affected NEED to stand up and voice their concerns.&nbsp; Where =
would we=20
be as a society if we just sat down and let the government walk all over =
us with=20
whatever policies/laws/rules/prohibitions that they choose=20
*cough*China*cough*?&nbsp; No, they aren't trying to take our MTV, or =
our guns=20
(although that is coming), or even our choice to have a beer with dinner =
on=20
Friday night.&nbsp; My belief is that someone is on a power trip and is =
looking=20
for something to control with that 'iron fist', expecting little to no=20
resistance from those affected.&nbsp; The Rangers who are removing these =
caches=20
aren't doing it out of malice, but instead are acting on the orders of =
someone=20
much higher up.&nbsp; Can we fault them?&nbsp; No, because they are =
simply doing=20
their job(s).&nbsp; However, we owe it to the higher-ups to educate them =
about=20
the sport and make every attempt to work with them on placing caches so =
that a=20
mutual understanding and respect develops between our 2 groups in order =
to help=20
keep this sport thriving and not suffocated under government=20
bureaucracy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I hope this doesn't come across as a =
personal=20
attack, because it wasn't.&nbsp; In fact, I don't see how handing over a =
letter=20
of apology is overreacting.&nbsp; If anything, it is the most =
responsible thing=20
a geocacher could do, rather than just flipping out and telling the =
Rangers to=20
f*$#**$ for removing the caches.&nbsp; Would this action not invoke a =
slight=20
degree of respect or understanding, and possibly lay the foundation for =
a=20
positive dialogue that could help this sport out immensely?&nbsp; Also, =
if you=20
read the other messages again, you will see that it is only beginning =
with the=20
Superstitions.&nbsp; There is talk about many/all caches in NFS areas =
being=20
remoed as well.&nbsp; Should we just stand idly by while this becomes=20
reality?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Brian</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Team A.I.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2C385.D48A1100--