[Az-Geocaching] Response to "Disney Fanatic"

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:09:04 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C2C366.B6E16320

On January 24, 2003 (5:00 AM) Rand Hardin responded to "Disney Fanatic":

Jessica, I think you have missed the point.  This is not only a matter of=
 the Superstition Wilderness, but decisions that may affect the survival =
of geocaching as a hobby/sport in the years to come.  The removing of the=
 caches in the Wilderness is a beginning of the unraveling of geocaching =
(unless we can reach compromises).  The Rangers who removed the caches ha=
d every right to remove them - we were wrong in placing them without perm=
ission.  The situation has gotten to a point where we as geocachers need =
to be concerned about the placement of all of our caches (including the c=
ity parks where you have a good number of your caches hidden - and that w=
e enjoy).  If we didn't show any concern about our current situation with=
 the Superstition Wilderness, and we just moved on and didn't say anythin=
g as you suggest, then how long would it be until the caches started disa=
ppearing from every National, State, City and any other government land t=
hat is open to the public. =20

With any movement there needs to be compromises through dialectical evolu=
tion.  We cannot reach a synthesis without a conflict of opposites.  Comi=
ng together as a group and working with our land managers - and even cont=
acting our State and Federal Representatives - is the process we now need=
 to take to preserve our freedom to enjoy geocaching without having to re=
sort to mostly virtual caching.

Rand Hardin (RandMan) =20

On January 23, 2003 (at 10:52 PM) "Disney Fanatic" wrote:        =20

I never in a million years I thought I would ever post again here but I'v=
e been following this thread and I'm getting nothing but a huge laugh!  M=
y gosh some of you sure do get your panties in a bunch over silly stuff. =
 I realize I don't take this game nearly as serious as most and stats mea=
n nothing to me but come on now - remove your caches, hide them somewhere=
 else (or don't) and move on.  Hiring lawyers, writing to your congress m=
an, letters of apology - my goodness!!!  Glad nobody has over-reacted.  S=
eems pretty simple to me - just don't hide a cache in the Superstitions. =
  You can still hike there if you want for crying out loud.  =20

I know I'm not the most popular cacher out there - and I think I might ac=
tually be proud of that fact the more I read on here.  Wholly Cow!

Disney Fanatic =20
(the last of Chicks with Trucks)

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C2C366.B6E16320

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><U>On January =
24, 2003 (5:00 AM)&nbsp;Rand Hardin responded to "Disney Fanatic":</U></D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Jessica, I think you have missed the point.&nb=
sp; This is not only a matter of the Superstition Wilderness, but decisio=
ns that may affect the survival of&nbsp;geocaching as a hobby/sport in th=
e years to come.&nbsp; The removing of the caches in the Wilderness&nbsp;=
is a beginning of the unraveling of&nbsp;geocaching (unless we can reach =
compromises).&nbsp; The Rangers who removed the caches had every right to=
 remove them - we were&nbsp;wrong in placing them without permission.&nbs=
p; The situation has gotten to a point where we as geocachers need to be =
concerned about the placement of all of our caches (including the city pa=
rks where you have a&nbsp;good number&nbsp;of your caches hidden -&nbsp;a=
nd that we enjoy).&nbsp; If we didn't show any concern about our current =
situation with the Superstition Wilderness, and we just moved on and didn=
't say anything as you suggest, then how long&nbsp;would it be until the =
caches started disappearing from every National, State, City and any othe=
r government land that is open to the public.&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DI=
V> <DIV>With any movement there&nbsp;needs to be compromises&nbsp;through=
 dialectical evolution.&nbsp; We cannot reach a synthesis without a confl=
ict&nbsp;of opposites.&nbsp; Coming together as a group and working with =
our land managers -&nbsp;and even contacting our State and Federal Repres=
entatives - is&nbsp;the process we now need to take to&nbsp;preserve our =
freedom to enjoy geocaching without having to resort to&nbsp;mostly virtu=
al caching.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand Hardin (RandMan)&nbsp;</DIV=
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><U>On January 23, 2003 (at 10:=
52 PM) "Disney Fanatic" wrote:</U>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"=
Comic Sans MS" color=3D#ff00ff size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT"></FONT></FONT>&=
nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=3Darial,helvetica><FONT lang=3D0 face=3D"Comi=
c Sans MS" color=3D#ff00ff size=3D2 FAMILY=3D"SCRIPT">I never in a millio=
n years I thought I would ever post again here but I've been following th=
is thread and I'm getting nothing but a huge laugh!&nbsp; My gosh some of=
 you sure do get your panties in a bunch over silly stuff.&nbsp; I realiz=
e I don't take this game nearly as serious as most and stats mean nothing=
 to me but come on now - remove your caches, hide them somewhere else (or=
 don't) and move on.&nbsp; Hiring lawyers, writing to your congress man, =
letters of apology - my goodness!!!&nbsp; Glad nobody has over-reacted.&n=
bsp; Seems pretty simple to me - just don't hide a cache in the Superstit=
ions.&nbsp;&nbsp; You can still hike there if you want for crying out lou=
d.&nbsp; <BR><BR>I know I'm not the most popular cacher out there - and I=
 think I might actually be proud of that fact the more I read on here.&nb=
sp; Wholly Cow!<BR><BR>Disney Fanatic <BR>(the last of Chicks with Trucks=
)<BR><BR></DIV></FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C2C366.B6E16320--