[Az-Geocaching] Obervation

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:59:42 -0800

Just wanted  to say I had a great time at the Event Cache put on by EvilFISH
on Friday night. Great pizza (cheap too!) and it was fun chatting with some
of the newbies as well as some of the regulars. It was a fun time.

After being out of the geocaching scene for a little while and after the
event cache, I was somewhat fired up to go get a cache. Well, I happened to
be doing a job in downtown Tempe later this morning and so I thought I would
take a look for the very nearby Jacyee Park Cache. I arrived at the
coordinates and found there is a Police impound yard or some kind of Police
facility on the other side of the wall from the cache. On the wall that is
right next to the cache, there is a big and very noticable sign that says
"Police survailance area" and some other stuff. Now, they are primarily
refering to the other side of the wall. But, with the cameras looking down
along the wall. They obviously dont want to see people snooping around the
wall there. You will look very suspicious if you are searching for a cache
in this area. By reading the clues, the hints were enough to know right
where to search for this cache. Unfortunately, the cache is not there. There
is a string, but no cache on the end of it.

Anyways, this type of cache hide is one of the very reasons I dont enjoy
geocaching like I used to and one of the very reasons I have been sitting
aside and not caching as of late. Jaycee Park is a big enough park that the
cache owner could have hidden this cache in the same fashion it was hidden
in someplace else in the park. It didnt have to be RIGHT up against the wall
were the police survailance sign is! This is a jackass way to hide a cache.
What was the cache owner thinking when he placed this cache!? I consider
this cache hide very inconsiderate to fellow cachers and just plain out
stupid. This cache certainly doesnt shine a positive light on geocaching,
especially if the Tempe police find this cache after seeing people snooping
around the wall area, right where they dont want people. There are way too
many urban caches out there that dont follow good geocaching etiquette and
place geocachers who seek the cache out in an uncomfortable situation,
whether intentionally or not (this cache, in my opinion, does so
intentionally). The aim here is to obviously place a cache in an area that
would require a great amount of stealth so as not to be seen. Is this game
suppose to be about going out and trying to find a cache or going out and
trying to arouse suspicion and get questioned by local authorities?

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup