[Az-Geocaching] Obervation

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 21:12:06 -0500

I understand where you're coming from with this cache, and to a certain extent I do agree.  It isn't the best place for it, but certainly not the worst.  One of the facets of the sport is that cachers have the independent choice of deciding whether or not to seek out a cache if they find the area in which it hidden, questionable.  By ultimately seeking out the cache, you imply that the problem you had was after-the-fact, not during your attempted log.

Overall, I thought it was a very clever idea and enjoyed finding the cache.  The problem with the signs is the fear some people experience because they think that it's some sort of trespass being committed because those signs are there.  They are for the area behind the wall, which is the Tempe Police Property/Evidence building.  Granted, those cameras right above the cache could sweep down and see you.  By finding the cache, that's a risk you take.  However, every encounter I've had with police officers regarding my caching activities I've used to turn it into a positive learning experience for the officer(s) involved.

I would e-mail the cache owner directly and express your concerns and see what can be done to make the cache safer, if anything.  Worse case, you could take the stand of logging an archive note and seeing where it goes from there.  The objectivity of admins could rule in this if they saw fit, or it would be handled behind the scenes and everyone would be happy.

Brian
Team A.I.