[Az-Geocaching] Placements near restricted areas

Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:28:06 EDT

In a message dated 6/7/02 9:02:04 PM, malthusian@mindspring.com writes:

<< One example that comes to mind is an unnamed cache in the SE valley,
that is close to the cooling towers of a power plant.  Close enough
that many people's GPS units pointed them into the very restricted
areas around the cooling towers.  Based on recent logs and an email
I got from the cache owner, the cache is located nearby, but out of
the restricted area.

With the accuracy of GPS units being degraded some when near buildings,
to maybe -+40 feet, I think we need to make sure that any new caches
placed will be at least 40-50 feet from things like power plants, or
any area that people would be very nervous about searching in.  With
all the heightened security concerns since 9/11, and the possibility
that some day a terrorist may place a bomb in a power plant, I think
we need to not have ourselves searching near such areas.

Mike (Malthusian) >>

I'll claim this one, it's my DryDock cache which I placed with my Uncle (Team
Token) at his work.  At the time we placed the cache we were confident enough
in the coordinates that we put no thought into the cooling towers.  Since
then I've tried to address everyones concerns with this cache and excluding
another coordinate recheck which I'm planning on doing this week, I think
I've done a good job.  (I'm sure I'll hear it if I haven't....)  The cache is
40-50 feet away from the offending location and I hope that the solutions
that I have made for this cache will rectify any and all problems.  If not
look for it to be archived soon.

Chris
Cache-meifucan