[Az-Geocaching] Death of Geocaching

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 16:23:25 -0700

>From: Jerry Nelson <peakbagger2@juno.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Death of Geocaching
>Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:54:09 -0700
>
>.
>I say lighten up yourself, Tim.  Even though most of us have never met in
>person, we're friends by way of our mutually enjoyed sport and
>communication via this listserv.
>
>Friends should be free to ventilate a little with each other during
>somewhat stressful times in their lives without being taken too
>seriously.
>
>Jerry-Offtrail
OK. I am not one to get too involved in politics, but, I don't mind speaking
what's on my mind once in a while! :)

No seriously. I agree totally with Jerry's post above.

This is a public forum for the free speech of it's members. This forum is
for discussion concerning the sport/hobby of Geocaching.

We are all free to speak our minds about things associated with the subject
this listserver supports. Loran is not 'whining' about anything. He is just
speaking what is on his mind. He is voicing his opinion. The only 'whiners'
are the individuals who 'retaliate' to Loran's post. If one does not agree
with what Loran said, you are free to speak your mind as well. But, phrase
your post in a way that speaks of your thoughts on the subject and not in a
retalitory mode. Perhaps there are others that feel the same way Loran does.
I am sure there are some that don't agree with him as well. But, I think it
is totally fine for Loran to say what he said and it is totally acceptable
for everyone else on this list to serve their thoughts on the subject as
well. If you don't agree with what Loran said.. then state your thoughts and
state why you think the way you do about it. But, don't slam him or anyone
else for simply speaking their minds.

The 'round table discussion' that this listserver was designed for will
allow us to speak out for/against certain things and thus will create a
better future for our sport/hobby. If no one knows what others thoughts are
on the subject of geocaching, the sport will never grow. If someone doesnt
agree with what someone else says.. then post a reply and give us your
thoughts. But, don't knock someone else for speaking what they beleive
because you don't believe. That's the great thing about living in America.

I don't think there are any other states that have a listserver for
geocaching like we are fortunate to have (thanks Brian, Jason!). This allows
us to be a much more in tune group with each other and should help us
improve our hobby here in AZ. But, if everyone just slams what everyone else
says... we arent going to improve anything.

I post this message because I was once on a listserver similar to this that
was for another sport I participate in- hot air ballooning. There is so much
whining, BS'ing, and just plain out political nonsense on that list.. I
finally unsubsribed from it. There was more 'hot air' on that list, than the
balloons themselve create! :) I was getting, on average, 50-70 emails a day
from that list. More than half were just retaliation posts to someone else
wishing to speak their thoughts. I never saw any positive improvements to
any original thoughts posted on that list and I never learned or gained
anything from it. So, I unsubsribed.

I so far (except for a very few instances) have found this AZGeocaching
listserver to be a far more 'mature' group of people than that old
ballooning listserver I was subscribed to. Hopefully it will remain that
way.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind