[Az-Geocaching] Placements near restricted areas

Mike Schwarz listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:52:54

One example that comes to mind is an unnamed cache in the SE valley,
that is close to the cooling towers of a power plant.  Close enough
that many people's GPS units pointed them into the very restricted
areas around the cooling towers.  Based on recent logs and an email
I got from the cache owner, the cache is located nearby, but out of
the restricted area.

With the accuracy of GPS units being degraded some when near buildings,
to maybe -+40 feet, I think we need to make sure that any new caches
placed will be at least 40-50 feet from things like power plants, or
any area that people would be very nervous about searching in.  With
all the heightened security concerns since 9/11, and the possibility
that some day a terrorist may place a bomb in a power plant, I think
we need to not have ourselves searching near such areas.

Mike (Malthusian)