[Az-Geocaching] Death of Geocaching

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:35:04 -0700

At 08:59 AM 6/7/2002 -0700, you wrote:

I have been reading this thread with some interest.  I guess it is time to
add my 2 cents.

>A very good cache with a good hiding place. Its just that the coord put me
>25-30 feet from the first stage. I have talked to others that had the same

I have found many caches that are 20-30 feet away from what my GPSr tells
me is the correct place.  Some of those have been in places where there are
lots of hiding places.  That is just part of the game.  I don't think this
would be nearly as fun if my GPSr would put me within 1 foot of each and
every cache that I look for.

There is no way that you can ever guarantee that you post are dead on.  You
can try to let the unit average as long as possible, but there is still
going to be a little error, nothing can be done about that.

>This ones going to get me in trouble but I felt it must be included. One of
>the products involved with this geocache is so specialized it can be found
>at maybe one or two store chains.

Then don't look for that one.  Personally I have that one on my watch list
and have found figured out 1/2 of it.  I don't know if I will ever find the
cache, but I won't lose any sleep over it either.  I think this cache is
very clever.

>The second problem is I have seen signs of more and more caches looking in
>places they should not be. Opening screwed down panels and such. These
>usually are a result of fustration and desperation in finding a cache.

That will always be the case with geocaching.  I don't think you can fix it
so that people don't get frustrated or desperate.  If part of this game is
actually looking for something that is not right out in the open, there are
always going to be caches that some people will never find.

There have been a couple caches that I haven't been able to find.  I have
never lost sleep over them nor has it really upset me all that much.  The
only one that I might have some regrets over is Scary.  We couldn't find it
at first.  I believe that it was you Loran that updated the coordinates and
then others started finding it.  We were up on the mountain about a week
before the Bullock fire started but decided that we would wait until the
next trip up the mountain to find it.  Now it looks like the area might
have been burned in the fire.

The death of geocaching seems to be a popular thread over on the
geocaching.com forums as well.  I doubt that geocaching is going to die any
time soon.  It might die for individuals who decide that it is no longer
fun, but that's ok, all hobbies and games don't appeal to all people.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache