[Az-Geocaching] Death of Geocaching

loran @cox listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:59:25 -0700

Ok round two. Clarification.

I wasn't blasted too bad on the first round .

Ok what got me going. As of lately the trend in the area seems to be to hide
caches that require more leg work than mental work. Usually these are in the
area of multi caches. I don't mind multi caches when there is something to
find at each stage. The ones that drive me crazy are the ones that only have
a tiny sticker with the coords on them and there are too many probable
hiding places within the search area.  Add to that the uncertainty of the
coords and you can spend hours searching for just one stage.

Ok here is the bad part, you want examples. These are my opinion and other
my think differently.

Bombs away
Neat idea but directions way to vague. I worked with the owner and reduced
the search area. Originally the search area was 2000 feet long.

Justin Time
A very good cache with a good hiding place. Its just that the coord put me
25-30 feet from the first stage. I have talked to others that had the same
problem.

Neighborhood Park Cache
Still haven't broken this one. First stage is ok because there are only two
probable seach areas. Second stage the coords are uncertain and search area
is much larger. When your best teams require multiple returns to find a
single stage something is wrong.

Ultimate Puzzle Cache
This ones going to get me in trouble but I felt it must be included. One of
the products involved with this geocache is so specialized it can be found
at maybe one or two store chains. The newer hint does help narrow the
search. I believe the concept behind the location of the cache was very
clever and the trouble with find the product wa unnessessary. Others have
voiced thier dislike with the product search if not vocally. This might
explain why there has been only 2 finds for this cache.  I have finally
found the elucive product and will attempt to find the cache.

The second problem is I have seen signs of more and more caches looking in
places they should not be. Opening screwed down panels and such. These
usually are a result of fustration and desperation in finding a cache.  I
believe care must be taken when placing a cache as to not lead the finder to
resort to these action either by note or avoidance. Also the harder the
cache is to find at a location the more destruction to the surrounding area.

As for the one in the live electrical box it has been removed. This was an
honest mistake but what surprised me is that no one else questioned the
location as there where multiple finds before me.  If a sight is unsafe
don't be afraid to tell the owner they might even appriciate it. And it is
the best for everyone involved in the game.  The other problem I found with
this cache is now you will think, "I found that one in and electrical box
what about this one?".

Ok, enought for now. I'll get off my soapbox and get back to geocaching. I
might even place some.

Loran (Team Sand Dollar)