[Az-Geocaching] Club 2400 replaced!

Mike Schwarz listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 02 Jun 2002 12:20:28

Well, no one posted any sort of log for this since April 17.
As the days and weeks passed by, I became increasingly concerned
that the container was gone.  Its been very hot the past several
days, but in late April and early May, there were some pleasantly
cool days when people could have easily done the hike to it, which
features less elevation gain than either Squaw Peak or Camelback.

Anticipating that it was gone, I hiked up the peak this morning,
with a replacement can in hand, with 7 other friends.  Sure
enough, the previous can was gone.  I rehid the new container
at the exact same location as the old, so Club 2400 is open for
business again.

I would certainly agree with Scott's comments about being annoyed
that a lot of people won't post "Couldn't find it" or "Note" logs
when they search for a cache, and don't find it.  A lot of
geocachers refuse to post anything but "Found it" logs, regardless
of how many caches they've searched for and couldn't find.  This
not posting the "unhappy" logs does a big disservice to the
geocaching community at large.  When geocachers let people know
that they couldn't find a cache, and there's a few of these in a
row, the owner of the cache gets tipped off that something may
be wrong, unless it's rated as a difficult-to-find one.

I am 99 percent sure that SOME people have searched for Club 2400
since April 17, but would those people let me know that they
couldn't find it?  Noooo!  If those people had posted a couldn't-
find-it or note log after their search, it would have informed me
of a possible problem much sooner.

Don't know why someone would steal the old container, but they did.
It was a small coffee can, not a more desirable ammo box.  The
new can is slightly bigger, and only has a couple items in it
now, so it's far from full.  I'd highly recommend this if you want
a good early-morning workout close to home, with a 360-degree view
from the top.  Of course, the only decent time to do this hike is
the early morning, for the next 4 months.  I wouldn't try this
after 9 AM in the summer.

NOTE- I wanted to append the comments another user posted here
about being annoyed that many people won't post "couldn't find it"
logs- it was somebody from Tucson (maybe Scott Wood?), but I've
tried to access the WEB version of the listserv a few times this
morning, and it keeps saying "Connection timed out".

Mike (Malthusian)