[Az-Geocaching] Communications...

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:47:18 -0700

At 08:04 AM 12/31/2002 -0800, you wrote:

>Here's a question; do CB and FRS radios share channels?  Can the two
>radios communicate?  Since I have been known to hike several miles away
>from civilization, my spouse would really like it if I could keep in touch
>with the outside world somehow in case I had an emergency, etc., etc.  I
>am wondering what might be the best type to carry.

No, they don't.  Most GMRS radios have the FRS frequencies in them
though.  As was mentioned, you are supposed to have a license to use GMRS
radios, even if you are transmitting on the FRS frequencies that do not
require a license.

I own CB, FRS and GMRS radios.  While I used the CB radios quite a lot a
number of years ago, I have found that the FRS and GMRS are far superior
person to person communications.  I have only had them a few months now,
but consider them almost required equipment for being out on the trail.

In liberty,

Scott

wood@myblueheaven.com
www.myblueheaven.com