[Az-Geocaching] Republic's Follow-Up

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:48:22 -0700

The "Republic" has finally published a follow-up story, on Page One...
of the "Local" section. Still talking about the "...18 known caches on
or near archaeological sites..." without mentioning that many of them
are virtual caches.

But it's a step in the right direction. Mr. Hubbell talks about adopting
rules and obtaining permission, both of which I favor. I just hope that
when people seek permission that it will be granted from time to time,
unlike the experience I had with another parks agency and which I have
mentioned in an earlier posting. I'm also concerned about the county's
request that caches be placed within three feet of trails. Isn't there
some way that hiders and the park staff could jointly monitor the impact
of placing a cache in a particular location, rather than coming up with
an arbitrary restriction? With permissions (permits? Fine, IMO) being
granted, that shouldn't be difficult.

Finally, I note the "Republic's" new feature, the Unintentional Irony
Department: In the same edition, on Page One of the "Living" section,
there is an article about lightweight backpacks. In that article,
there's a quote from a guy who is described as, "...an avid hiker who
enjoys exploring off-trail routes in the Grand Canyon."

Steve
Team Tierra Buena
"...attracting adventure-seekers but creating panic among
authorities..."