[Az-Geocaching] Republic's Follow-Up

Bob Renner listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 09:31:59 -0700 (PDT)

Actually, the Grand Canyon does not restrict hikers to
staying on the trails except in a few high usage
areas. Indian Gardens campground (on the Bright Angel
Trail) is one such spot.  However, since most of the
Canyon is more like a huge wilderness area, and the
foot traffic is limited by the need for a permit for
overnights, there are no trail-only restrictions like
the more heavily used and smaller county parks.

Many parts of the Grand Canyon do not have established
trails, let alone maintained trails.  They're just
game trails that may or may not go where you want.
Also, in the more remote usage areas, camping is
at-large and not restricted to established
campgrounds.

Bob Renner

--- Team Tierra Buena <teamtierrabuena@earthlink.net>