Re: [Az-Geocaching] Am I missing something - Magellen 200s

+ (text/html)
Author: AZcachemeister
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Am I missing something - Magellen 200s

> Correct me if I am wrong, but doesnt Magellan also use proprietary
> mapping
> software? (Mapsend). I could be wrong on this, but I beleive both Magellan
> and Garmin have their own specific mapping software that must be used for
> mapping. I think both brands will accept some other mapping software, but
> only for uploading and transfering of waypoints, tracks, etc and not maps.
> If you want maps in your unit, you have to use their own mapping software
> (Mapsend or Mapsource).

Yes, Scott! You are correct.
In my opinion this is what locks most users into brand loyalty (it has
for me, for now).
So I bought a nice GPSr, and then spent $2-3-400 on mapping software,
that ONLY works for that brand of equipment. What brand of replacement
will I buy when the GPSr breaks (when I drop it!), or it gets
lost/stolen, or I decide to upgrade?

I thought so. That's correct.

There are a few other programs that will upload waypoints to the GPSrs
(well most of them, but not the Cobra!) , but if you want a map uploaded
you have to use the manufacturer's software.