Re: [Az-Geocaching] Am I missing something - Magellen 200s

+ (text/html)
Author: Cordell Harris
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Am I missing something - Magellen 200s
OK Scott. Did I fail to mention that we have had the opportunity to compare
the performance of (7) seven Magellan and Garmins against each other while
doing something like 500 plus caches all over the US. In my original
missive a forgot about the emap unit. The units we used are the Garmin
Emap, 76CS, Etrex Legend, Etrex Legend Vista Cx. The 3 Magellans were all
Sportrack Pros. We seem to keep dropping them! Maybe I should also note
that none of the units failed operationally. Of all the Garmins the Etrex
Legend is the best, e.g. sensititivy and accuracy. All the others have/had
serious errors of 7 to 10 ft on the high resolution scale. These errors are
consistent with caches that were placed by careful knowledgeable cachers.
We have also had opportunity to compare waypoints established scientifically
by standards. The 3 Magellan Sportrack Pros were all perfect replicas and
were dead on. I am not hostile toward Garmin, but cannot ignore results.
Both mapsource and mapsend topos (I have both) will allow exchange of
waypoints but not maps. What I would like to be able to do is use Delorme
topo maps (superior) in either or both brands of receivers with Garmin
waypoint symbols. My backhand at Garmin is simply because they are the
industry leaders in terms of sales and promotions and for now get to set the
trend. Magellan Sportrack Pros are a great deal and very adequate for
geocaching. I repeat my offer to trade the etrex legend vista Cx for a
eXplorist 500. There is nothing wrong with the vista Cx except the offset
mentioned above.