Re: [Az-Geocaching] Superstition Caches

+ (text/html)
Author: Joe Brekke
To: listserv
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Superstition Caches
Message
----- Original Message -----
From: Team Tierra Buena
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2003 10:49 AM
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Superstition Caches

That may not be a popular view, especially on the listserver, but I think it is the correct view. If I owned one of those caches, I'd be down in Mesa as fast as I could be, to retrieve the ammo can, hand deliver a personal letter of apology, and find out who to talk to about obtaining permission for a possible future placement. But I think trying to "push back" on those that were confiscated will do nothing except alienate us further in the eyes of those who make these decisions.

Geocaching doesn't have a lot of rules; it's time we started playing by the few we do have.

I'm going to go there tomorrow and retrieve our cache. Mind you I have no problem with what they did, they are perfectly within their right to do this. I doubt I'll take the time to print out a letter of apology, but I will talk to whoever is there, and apologize to them for not getting a permit and find out if I can get one, either now or in the future. I placed this almost a year ago, (at the time was blatantly ignorant on many of the issues) and really most of the discussion we have had about this was since the article in the Republic...it may not be a correct view, and in fact I'm willing to admit that it isn't but I kind of figured as long as no one was saying anything about it, this cache was being "Grandfathered" in, so to speak.

I wonder how many caches out there on Nat'l Forest Land, BLM land, etc., even the Goldwater area...were considered "Grandfathered" by the owners...in other words, it's already there, and no one has removed it, I don't need to do anything.

I'd be willing to bet that there are at least 400 caches in city parks in Arizona...which is public land, I doubt very many of those owners have gotten permission to place those as well - I have one in a city park and did not get permission. I'm not saying this is correct. I would also be willing to bet that out of 1133 active caches in Arizona, at least 80% of them don't have permission from the proper agency to have them there...a street light pole is public property, so are signs, benches, dog poop disposal units, garbage cans, electrical equipment, playground equipment, and trees in a public park, a light pole in a store parking lot is private property, so is a fence...I've found over 300 caches, I could go on and on. Many caches are located at these sights, or they have permanent ink writting on them giving coordinates for the next leg of a multi-cache.

I'd say that held to the standard of obtain permission on all public or private property, most of us would have a lot of letters and work to do in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Joe
TeamBlunder