[Az-Geocaching] decrypted hints

Jared Ross jaredmross at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 07:35:34 MST 2007

I think there have been some really good points brought up on this topic. I know when we first started caching we didn't know what "typical arizona style" was until finding a couple. That was just part of the learning curve for being a cacher in Arizona. Same goes for terrain rating. While I haven't experienced it first hand I've heard of big differences between a 2.5 star terrain here in Phoenix and a 2.5 star terrain in Flagstaff. Different area, different rules. It's all an adjustment. But, if we want to create a more welcome environment for new or out of state cachers maybe we need to elaborate more on our hides (without compromising or giving away too much information). I wouldn't think you'd be giving away anything if you informed the cacher that they would be hiking x amount of miles with x amount of elevation gain, should take x amount of time, etc. And then of course trying to be more considerate with the nature of encrypted hints. Not sure about everyone but I
 don't really want people thinking that the Arizona cachers are just an inside group and they only place caches for one another, attempting to exclude those from out of state (or even just outside of a particular town).

On a related note.
I've noticed some cache listings in the past (more in the recent past) that look similar to this:

Cache Name: My Crazy Cache
Type: Traditional
Size: Micro
Difficulty: 1  Terrain: 1
Hint: (no additional hints)

and that's it. Sometimes there is maybe one very brief sentence, but that is the cache. A blank description, and a 1/1 rating. This worries me. Mostly because who knows if they filled anything out at all (especially with a 1/1 rating since that would be displayed by default). Is there really a place for this kind of cache? (aside from maybe a mystery cache).

Jared