[Az-Geocaching] Who Manages What

Ed Philpott listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 10:48:07 -0700

I believe that the Maricopa Park Rangers now belong to Sheriff Joe thus they
are in the transition of becoming Deputy Sheriffs.

I think in general all Park Rangers are doing more law enforcement and less
public service like they used to do.  The ones down south say they spend
more time being border patrol than anything.

Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of
William Noll
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 8:31 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Who Manages What

Obviously you missed the point...

    There was a time when being a Ranger meant being a steward of the land,
and an educator to the users of the land. These people were often what we
now call 'biologists'.

    The point is nobody should have to cower to some law enforcement nitwit,
who apparently did not know the law, and made the 'suspects' nervous when
they did nothing apparently wrong. People in law enforcement tend to forget
this. While there is no explicit right 'to be left alone',  the citizenry in
general often bend over backwards to law enforcement to prove they are not
doing something wrong; if you actually read the US Constitution, it's up to
the government (from police officers to juries) to actually go through all
the trouble to convict someone of breaking a law. The suspect has no
obligation to provide any information to the police.

    You also say that law enforcement is a thankless job, and where would we
be without it? The obvious fact is that law enforcement in general is
unnecessary overhead, and a burden on society. Argue that point if you'd
like, but a company that hires security guards has an overhead expense that
is passed on to their customers. Same thing. We live in a somewhat peaceful
society due to the majority of citizens that voluntarily follow laws - not
from the thankless (but certainly well paid) efforts of law enforcement.
Let's face it - if crime decreased (and how often is crime actually thwarted
by a cop?) we'd have to lay off cops. Forgive me if I look forward to that
day.

Bill