[Az-Geocaching] City of Phoenix Geocaching Policy

Brian Casteel listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 13:03:22 -0700

Thank you for both of those.  It's nice to know that BLM is so supportive of
Geocaching and that we are allowed to use OUR OWN LAND without mountains of
red tape.  BTW, as a side note, don't forget to get a BLM permit from the
office in Central Phoenix.  It's $15/annually, and may save you some hassle
down the road.

I also looked at the Phoenix policy, and all it basically bans is what we
already try not to do, and that's place caches in designated wilderness area
s, as well as on archaelogical sites.  The way I read it, Geocaching is
acceptable anywhere but the above mentioned locations.  Cool!

Brian
Team A.I.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Team Tierra Buena" <TeamTierraBuena@earthlink.net>
To: "Arizona Geocaching" <az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 12, 2003 10:51 AM
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] City of Phoenix Geocaching Policy

Sorry this took me so long to get to.
Following is the City of Phoenix Geocaching policy as presented to us at the
land management meeting on September 30th. I have also attached it as a
Microsoft Word document.
Steve
Team Tierra Buena

City of Phoenix
Archaeology Section
Geocaching

The City of Phoenix contains many archaeological sites within its
boundaries, especially in its mountain preserves and open spaces. These
archaeological sites have great scientific and cultural value, but are
fragile, irreplaceable, and potentially subject to accidental harm or
intentional vandalism. Many of the sites are not marked or identified by
signage so as not to attract attention to them. In order to best preserve
these sites, no activities are allowed at the sites that could directly or
indirectly cause harm, or broadcast their locations to the general public.
Pursuant to PCC 24-36, Entering park areas closed to public se, and PCC
24-37, Vandalism in a park, Geocaching at archaeological sites located on
City of Phoenix property is not allowed. Violation of these ordinances is a
Class 1 misdemeanor. Any geocaches that are found at archaeological sites
will be immediately removed.

Parks and Recreation Department July 2003