[Az-Geocaching] Obscenity written in log sheet of Mat274 cache on ASU campus

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:50:20 -0700 (PDT)

--0-207689547-1051401020=:70037

Geocachers,  I was at Mat274 geocache on the ASU campus today, and I found it along with Casey and Sarah of AZCelts.  However, I was appalled when I opened the log sheet and saw that the previous finder had written an obscenity in the place for his name.  He wrote, "F*** this cache" instead of his name.  This is particularly disconcerting because the first person who recovered the cache was Casey's 12-year old daughter, Sarah. What could we do about geocachers who do something like this?  My idea (admittedly controversial, and something discussed before) is that all caches in public places like this should be "Members Only".  I expect that the kind of person who would write an obscenity in the log sheet would be less likely to pay the nominal annual fee (less than a tank of gas) to become a Premium Member. Protecting caches by making them "Members Only" will also reduce the risk of lost travel bugs.   Apparently the travel bug that RandMan put in the cache was taken, but has not been logged yet.  Many travel bugs become lost because they are taken by a geocacher who fails to log them properly and does not put the travel bug in another cache.   If a travel bug is placed in a "Members Only" cache, then it is more likely that the travel bug will be recovered by someone who will log the travel bug properly, and will put the travel bug promptly in another cache. Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)
--0-207689547-1051401020=:70037

<DIV>Geocachers, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I was at <A href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=65700">Mat274 </A>geocache on the ASU campus today, and I found it along with Casey and Sarah of AZCelts.&nbsp; However, I was appalled when I opened the log sheet and saw that the previous finder had written an obscenity in the place for his name.&nbsp; He wrote, "F*** this cache" instead of his name.&nbsp; This is particularly disconcerting because the first person who recovered the cache was Casey's 12-year old daughter, Sarah.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What could we do about geocachers who do something like this?&nbsp; My idea (admittedly controversial, and something discussed before) is that all caches in public places like this should be "<STRONG>Members Only</STRONG>".&nbsp;&nbsp;I expect that the kind of person who would write an obscenity in the log sheet would be less likely to pay the nominal annual&nbsp;fee (less than a tank of gas) to become a Premium Member.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Protecting caches by making them "Members Only" will also reduce the risk of lost travel bugs.&nbsp;&nbsp; Apparently the travel bug that RandMan put in the cache was taken, but has not been logged yet.&nbsp; Many travel bugs become lost because they are taken by a geocacher who fails to log them properly and does not put the travel bug in another cache.&nbsp;&nbsp; If a travel bug is placed in a "Members Only" cache, then it is more likely that the travel bug will be recovered by someone who will log the travel bug properly, and will put the travel bug promptly in another cache.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG>Ken Akerman</STRONG> (a.k.a. <STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV>
--0-207689547-1051401020=:70037--