[Az-Geocaching] Obscenity written in log sheet of Mat274 cache on ASU campus

Brian LaFrance listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 17:59:52 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C30C1D.A31122E0

I beg to differ on the travel bug issue.  Your argument is the same argument
that people use when joining health clubs.  Just because they pay the fee
every month for the health club doesn't mean they are more responsible about
going and using that membership.  I consider myself to be an addicted
cacher, but I sometimes am unable to put travel bugs into different caches
for a few weeks at a time.  This is because I cannot revolve my life around
getting that travel bug into a cache, and I do not feel comfortable leaving
it in an urban cache...even if it is Members Only.  As cachers using public
areas, we have to accept the fact that people will destroy caches.  Many
times people probably come across them by accident or see people put them
back and decide to destroy them.  A members only cache would not solve this
problem.  I understand that some people feel that they like having their
caches be members only, but I would prefer to let all cachers enjoy the
sport equally.  People who place members only caches are not helping the
game.  When I started 6 months ago, it pissed me off that there were caches
out there that I couldn't view because I didn't pay for a membership.  I
have supported Geocaching just as much or more than many members have
through my purchases from Geocaching.com and it's affiliations.  I agree
that there should be limitations to the features on Geocaching.com for
people that are not members, but Geocaching is about the caches and they
should not be restricted to be accessed by a small number of people.

Brian
Team LeapLab