[Az-Geocaching] Logging no-finds

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 13:54:58 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C305B2.195ABB40

I pretty much do the same as Highpointer.  I will log a "note" if I feel =
the cache is missing (with an explanation that I will change it to a "no-=
find" if proved otherwise.)  I will also add "notes" if I started to look=
 for a cache but was interrupted and couldn't finish giving the search a =
fair chance.  I will log a "no-find" if I visit a cache site and couldn't=
 locate the cache.  Once I find the cache I will edit the "note" or "no-f=
ind" entry to a "Found" - but maintain the date and log (logs) of the pre=
vious entry (entries) below my "found" log.  (Therefore, all of my visits=
 are listed together - paragraphed separately - with dates, times and I e=
ven add the little colored faces next to the logs indicating my feelings =
for the entry)

I only maintain the purple "no-find" faces for reference on "my cache pag=
e" under "logged caches" so I know which caches I need to return to.

Rand (RandMan)  =20

----- Original Message -----
From: ken@highpointer.com
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2003 12:48 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Logging no-finds when I made a thorough, unsucce=
ssful search attempt

I usually log no-finds, but not all the time.  If I made a serious effort=
 to find the cache and the cache has not been archived or suspended, then=
 I will log a no-find.  However, if I search for only a few minutes becau=
se I don't have much time or there are too many people at an urban cache =
site, and don't perform what I feel is a thorough search, then I won't lo=
g the no-find.  Sometimes I include a note in this instance.  =20

My record of no-finds provides me with a list of caches that I need to re=
turn to find, because I don't like to leave any caches unfound close to m=
y home.  If I find a cache after recording a no-find, then I will delete =
the previous no-find but include excerpts from that entry in my current f=
ound log entry.  Therefore, the cache is no longer listed among my unfoun=
d caches (because it now has been found), but the most important part of =
the historical information is preserved.

Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C305B2.195ABB40

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>I pretty much =
do the same as <STRONG>Highpointer</STRONG>.&nbsp; I will log a "note" if=
 I feel the cache is missing (with an explanation that I will change it t=
o a "no-find" if proved otherwise.)&nbsp; I will also add "notes" if I st=
arted to look for a cache but was interrupted and couldn't finish giving =
the search a fair chance.&nbsp; I will log a "no-find" if I visit a cache=
 site&nbsp;and couldn't locate the cache.&nbsp; Once I find the cache I w=
ill&nbsp;edit the "note" or "no-find" entry to a "Found" -&nbsp;but maint=
ain the date and log (logs)&nbsp;of the previous entry (entries) below my=
 "found" log.&nbsp; (Therefore, all of my visits are listed&nbsp;together=
 - paragraphed separately -&nbsp;with dates, times and&nbsp;I even add th=
e little colored faces next to the logs indicating my feelings for the en=
try)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I&nbsp;only maintain&nbsp;the purple "n=
o-find" faces&nbsp;for reference on "<EM>my cache page</EM>"&nbsp;under "=
<EM>logged</EM> <EM>caches</EM>" so I know which caches I need to return =
to.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand (RandMan)&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&n=
bsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MA=
RGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV =
style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D=
"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> ken@hi=
ghpointer.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Friday, =
April 18, 2003 12:48 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> =
listserv@azgeocaching.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subjec=
t:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Logging no-finds when I made a thorough, unsuccess=
ful search attempt</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I usually log no-finds, b=
ut not all the time.&nbsp; If I made a serious effort to find the cache a=
nd the cache has not been archived or suspended, then I will log a no-fin=
d.&nbsp; However, if I search for only a few minutes because I don't have=
 much time or there are too many people at an urban cache site, and don't=
 perform what I feel is a thorough search, then I won't log the no-find.&=
nbsp; Sometimes I include a note in this instance.&nbsp; <BR></DIV> <DIV>=
My record of no-finds provides me with a list of caches that I need to re=
turn to find, because I don't like to leave any caches unfound close to m=
y home.&nbsp; If I find a cache after recording a no-find, then I will de=
lete the previous no-find but include excerpts from that entry in my curr=
ent found log entry.&nbsp; Therefore, the cache is no longer listed among=
 my unfound caches (because it now has been found), but the most importan=
t part of the historical information is preserved.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV=
> <DIV><STRONG>Ken</STRONG> (a.k.a. <STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>=
)</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0004_01C305B2.195ABB40--