[Az-Geocaching] Re: SPAM

Bill listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 12:34:04 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_06F0_01C2540F.5ACCA980

The problem with this is that you will probably delete a lot of mail =
intended for you.  Let me give you some examples why this will happen.

First, I teach my students never to send an email with several addresses =
on the "to" line, or in the "cc" line.  It is bad form, and quite rude, =
because then you are sharing everybody's email address with everybody =
else.  I have a doctor client who once who sent an email to all breast =
cancer patients with everybody's address visible.  Some patients might =
not want that made so public.  Instead, I tell my students to send the =
email to themselves and BCC to everybody else.  When this is done, my =
address shows nowhere in the email.  Most experienced email users know =
to do this, and I get several emails a day addressed that way.

Second, while the azgeocaching list messages come addressed to me, many =
other lists come addressed to the list, not the individual recipient.  =
For example, I am on a list for VW Vanagons, and those messages show the =
list address in the "to" line, not mine.  If you are subscribed to any =
list that works that way, and at least 1/2 do, all of those messages =
will be deleted.

Third, and the opposite problem, I just took a quick look in my deleted =
items, and most of the spam was addressed to me, so this method wouldn't =
filter it.  In my case, this method would filter large numbers of legit =
messages and a small percentage of spam.  Of course, you may have =
different results.

I do use filters to get rid of spam, but I have set up a number of them, =
and I filter subject lines for words that occur in spam, but not in my =
"real" emails.  I do not choose to print my list of words here, since =
many are offensive, but you will get the idea quickly if you check the =
subject lines of your spam messages.

Finally, a friend who really hates spam has developed an almost perfect =
method.   He has told all his friends that the word "fish" must appear =
in the subject line of any email sent to him.  If it doesn't, it gets =
filtered to trash.  Of course, he couldn't get mail from this list.

Bill

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Team A.I.=20
  When all inbound mail comes, if the To or CC field doesn't explicitly =
contain your e-mail address, the e-mail will go straight to your Trash.  =
To ensure you have no false positives, check your Deleted Items folder =
just to make sure.

------=_NextPart_000_06F0_01C2540F.5ACCA980

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>The problem with this is =
that you=20
will probably delete a lot of mail intended for you.&nbsp; Let me give =
you some=20
examples why this will happen.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>First, I teach my =
students never to=20
send an email with several addresses on the "to" line, or in the "cc"=20
line.&nbsp; It is bad form, and quite rude, because then you are sharing =

everybody's email address with everybody else.&nbsp; I have a doctor =
client who=20
once who sent an email to all breast cancer patients with everybody's =
address=20
visible.&nbsp; Some patients might not want that made so public.&nbsp; =
Instead,=20
I tell my students to send the email to themselves and BCC to everybody=20
else.&nbsp; When this is done, my address shows nowhere in the =
email.&nbsp; Most=20
experienced email users know to do this, and I get several emails a day=20
addressed that way.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>Second, while the =
azgeocaching list=20
messages come addressed to me, many other lists come addressed to the =
list, not=20
the individual recipient.&nbsp; For example, I am on a list for VW =
Vanagons, and=20
those messages show the list address in the "to" line, not mine.&nbsp; =
If you=20
are subscribed to any list that works that way, and at least 1/2 do, all =
of=20
those messages will be deleted.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>Third, and the opposite =
problem, I=20
just took a quick look in my deleted items, and most of the spam was =
addressed=20
to me, so this method wouldn't filter it.&nbsp; In my case, this method =
would=20
filter large numbers of legit messages and a small percentage of =
spam.&nbsp; Of=20
course, you may have different results.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>I do use filters to get =
rid of spam,=20
but I have set up a number of them, and I filter subject lines for words =
that=20
occur in spam, but not in my "real" emails.&nbsp; I do not choose to =
print my=20
list of words here, since many are offensive, but you will get the idea =
quickly=20
if you check the subject lines of your spam messages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>Finally, a friend who =
really hates=20
spam has developed an almost perfect method.&nbsp;&nbsp; He has told all =
his=20
friends that the word "fish" must appear in the subject line of any =
email sent=20
to him.&nbsp; If it doesn't, it gets filtered to trash.&nbsp; Of course, =
he=20
couldn't get mail from this list.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>Bill</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dteamai@cox.net href=3D"mailto:teamai@cox.net">Team A.I.</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When all inbound mail comes, if the =
To or CC=20
  field doesn't explicitly contain your e-mail address, the e-mail will =
go=20
  straight to your Trash.&nbsp; To ensure you have no false positives, =
check=20
  your Deleted Items folder just to make=20
sure.</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_06F0_01C2540F.5ACCA980--