[Az-Geocaching] fire

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 16:34:48 -0700

At 01:17 PM 5/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>As I said in a previous post, I am all in favor of closing the forests
>when in severe drought conditions. It's not worth the risk when you
>can't tell the difference between responsible people who would do
>everything to prevent a fire, and careless idiots, or even arsonists.

I don't want to start a war or anything.  While I am always opposed to
closing public lands for any reason, I can understand why they might decide
to do so during a drought.

That is not the reason for my post though.  Even given the best of
circumstances  a careless idiot or arsonist is going to do a great deal of
damage to the forest, it has very little to do with the amount of rain we
might or might not have gotten.  If we use the above logic, it would not be
worth the risk of having them in the forest during the best of conditions also.

What is my point?  I don't really know, but if we start going down the path
of protecting the forest from those that are not responsible in our eyes,
that is just the first step in closing them to everyone,
forever.  Remember, forest fires, and bad ones, happen during non drought
years also.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache