[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Sun, 19 May 2002 15:36:57 -0700 (PDT)

Fred,
Thanks for the information. As I mentioned in another post, I am
probably still in a bit of shock from the "bug-out" (I am not a
fire-fighter!) with being so close to the "freight-train" sound effect
of the advancing fire, and from seeing the very-burnt landscape while
it was still smoldering and with hand-crews and water-drops still
being used on hot-spots. And the "officials" have already addressed
the erosion concern in the local paper.
I was using the term "moonscape" in a descriptive sense only, not in a
technical sense.
Trisha

On Sun, 19 May 2002, "Fred Coe" wrote

> > My opinion, putting a cache in a fire-proof container is a bit of
> > overkill....even if it survived the fire, who would want to go
> > tromping thru the ashes and black sticks to find it? :-)
> >
> > Trisha "Lightning"
>
> Trisha, and all,
>
> I've always found visiting a burned area a very educational
experience.
> Depending on several factors (vegetative type, fire intensity, and
duration
> of the burning, terrain, and weather) there are frequently islands of
> unburned material, vegetation that may be burned off on the surface,
but
> will re-sprout with a little moisture, and the ash usually makes a
pretty
> good seed bed for the next generation of vegetation.  Indeed, some
plants
> need the heat of fire in order to open whatever seed pod they have.
Rarely
> does a landscape become a 'moonscape'.
>
> When burned area is 'moonscaped' it is because the fire has been so
intense
> that the ash has actually glazed over--it actually crunches when
walked on.
> These intensive fires consume all the life, including the
micro-organisms in
> the soil.  These areas usually require extensive rehab and
> replanting/reseeding in order to recover in a (human) generation or
two.
> Run off is a serious concern in these cases because no moisture can
soak
> into the burned area, it all runs off.  this can create problems
downstream,
> in areas that were not burned.
>
> If the ash has a powdery consistency, then natural regeneration will
likely
> take place, and within a season or two the area will be green and
lush
> (assuming no severe rain or heavy run off until the vegetation gets
> established). In these cases, most rehab efforts concentrate on
erosion
> and/or water run off control measures.
>
> In both cases it could be a long time before the areas were the same
as they
> were before the fire.  That is not to say they will be ugly or
barren, but
> they will be different. Depending on what kind of vegetation burned,
> recovery may be essentially complete within a year.  For instances,
early
> this month 38,000 acres burned south of Tucson (the Ryan Fire).
Most of it
> was grassland.  Probably by next spring, most people won't be able
to tell
> there was a fire in those grasslands.
>
> Now that the fire is contained, (which is different from controlled,
and
> out--and yes there are definitions for contain, control and out)
many people