[Az-Geocaching] More on abandoned Caches

C. Sullivan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 12:55:38 -0700

On Thursday 16 May 2002 10:34, you wrote:
> It's not that bad of an analogy.
>
> Caches do have a monitoring system; it's called the geocaching.com website.
> You automatically get email and can monitor your caches to see if they have
> been successfully found or whether they might need to be checked up on.
> Anything more than a couple "not found" logs in a row and maybe you should
> consider disabling the cache and checking up on it.  If your cache is being
> found relatively often, that means there's more potential for damage to the
> surrounding environment and you should probably check up on it.  If you
> can't get to it because it's in Timbuktu, ask a local cacher to do it for
> you.
>
> The point is that it's someone's responsibility to maintain these items,
> whether they are getting paid to do it or whether they do it as a hobby.
> Saying that you (in the general sense, not Ken specifically) have more
> important things to do than maintain your caches, while probably true, is
> blatant neglect.  Neglected property is litter.
>
> Sure, we all have lives other than geocaching, but as in all aspects of
> society, responsibility for your self and your actions seems to be becoming
> something most people don't honor.

Dan:

Thank you for being one of the few people that sees my point.  My point
simply was that people need to take responsibility for maintaining THEIR OWN
caches, and if it is somewhere that they can't frequent making sure that
somebody is there to take care of it for you.

I've said enough on the subject now.  I've been flamed (both publically and
privately) for just suggesting that people take responsibility for caches
they place.  It's a damn shame that nobody seemed to understand my basic
statement, becaue I feel that lack of cache maintenance is probably
singlehandedly what is going to "kill" this hobby more than anything, and is
probably exactly why the NPS (and others) ban Geocaching as an activity.

-Fedl