[Az-Geocaching] More on abandoned Caches

Koch, Dan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 10:34:32 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1FCFF.F05707A0

It's not that bad of an analogy.

Caches do have a monitoring system; it's called the geocaching.com website.
You automatically get email and can monitor your caches to see if they have
been successfully found or whether they might need to be checked up on.
Anything more than a couple "not found" logs in a row and maybe you should
consider disabling the cache and checking up on it.  If your cache is being
found relatively often, that means there's more potential for damage to the
surrounding environment and you should probably check up on it.  If you
can't get to it because it's in Timbuktu, ask a local cacher to do it for
you.

The point is that it's someone's responsibility to maintain these items,
whether they are getting paid to do it or whether they do it as a hobby.
Saying that you (in the general sense, not Ken specifically) have more
important things to do than maintain your caches, while probably true, is
blatant neglect.  Neglected property is litter.

Sure, we all have lives other than geocaching, but as in all aspects of
society, responsibility for your self and your actions seems to be becoming
something most people don't honor.

Dan