[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 14:23:58 -0700

>From: "Brian Cluff" <brian@snaptek.com>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?
>Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:13:07 -0700

>How many forest fires have been started by baloons? hmmmmm :)
>
>Brian Cluff
>Team Snaptek

I have never seen a forest fire started due to a hot air balloons
operations. I did, however, here of an incident in Southern California where
a balloon landed in the hills behind Lake Skinner (?) near Temecula and
cought the grass on fire. The balloon landed into an upwind side of a slope
(a tricky landing) and the pilot did not shut the burner's pilot lights off
and ignited the grass. The fire spread starting a nice little brush fire
that also consumed the entire balloon. It was quickly put under control.
But, no before consuming a good portion of the hillside.

I have almost 10 years flying summertimes in the pines of northern AZ. Just
before touching down, I always shut off the burner's pilot lights so there
is no flame at all. The burner is completely shut off. Pilot lights switch
off as well. Sometimes, when the wind is a bit quick, a balloon will have
what we call a lay down landing where the basket ends up on it's side. This
can put the burner very close to the ground. If the burner's blast valve was
accidentally hit by a tree branch or something else, the burner ignites..
and, well, the rest wouldnt be pretty, especially when the forest is a
tinderbox like it is now. So, pilot light gets shut off before the basket
contacts the ground. There is no possible source of flame after that.

On the inflation, I double up on my ground tarps under the burner to keep
the radiant heat off the ground as well.

Then, we take off on a most beautiful flight over the pines!

I know this doesnt have anything to do with geocaching. Just answering a
question!

Now, if I were to land and place a geocache and then take off again.. It
would! (actually, that is how Team RTW is hoping to place it's first cache!)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind