[Az-Geocaching] fire

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 14:03:41 -0700

>From: "Baja Fleg" <fleigle@hotmail.com>
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] fire
>Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 13:24:47 -0600
>
>They just closed a huge recreation area in Albuquerque along the Rio Grande
>because of the same thing.  Lots of people are pissed!!  They let the rich
>people who live along the area "patrol" this area on horseback but anyone
>else that enters can be fined up to $5000!!  I think 4 or 5 geocaches were
>planted here and I used to Mt. Bike the area at least once a week after
>work.

Hey Michael,

That is a bummer! We are going to be in ALBQ memorial day weekend (May
24-27th) for a ballooning competition. We were hoping to get some caches. I
havent scoped them out real well yet, but, it appears that there are a few
near the Rio Grande River that we were hoping to go for. The ones on the
east side of ALBQ appear to be fairly mountainous and tough to get to. We
are probably going to be limited to the easier to get to caches while over
there. Don't expect to be able to do any serious hiking. Our afternoons will
be mostly free for caching though. So, we will see if we can get to some of
them. Again, I havent scoped any out yet. But, was hoping to get the ones
down in the valley. By the looks of the geocaching.com map for NM, they look
to be along a north/south line right around the Rio Grande river area.  ?
They appear to be the ones you are refering to. Will be back over there
again in late June for a competition and should be able to do some hikig on
that trip and maybe get into some of the Sandia Mnt caches.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind