[Az-Geocaching] Southwest Trails for Garmin GPS Receivers?

Mark Fleming mrkfleming at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 19:15:54 MST 2008

Hi,

I'm a geocacher from Oro Valley, AZ, currently living in Seattle, WA, but
moving back to Oro Valley in December. I've been up here on a temporary
assignment with my company, and it was while I was up here that I started
geocaching. One of the uber cachers in the area, Moun10bike, has an amazing
project going called Northwest Trails, that I would like to replicate in the
southwest if it doesn't already exists. Moun10bike has this to say about his
project (http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html):

"In short, Northwest Trails is a mapset of trails designed for upload to any
map-enabled Garmin GPS receiver. It is more than just a mapset, though; it
is also a community effort initiated to record and collect GPS data for
trails in the Northwest (Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming,
British Columbia and Alaska) and provide that data for general public use."

I'm proposing doing the same thing for the southwest portion of the United
States, which is defined on the web as "the southwestern region of the
United States generally including New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, Nevada,
California, and sometimes Utah and Colorad." Since this listserv is for
Arizona, and since I'll be living back there soon, I'd like to start there.

Is this an interesting idea to anybody? Is this already underway somewhere?
If people find it interesting, and it's not already underway, I'd like to
start collecting tracks for inclusion. Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Mark (GoNorthWest)