[Az-Geocaching] GPS receivers allowed on airlines: ++Continental

Team Nine Lives teamninelives at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 20:46:20 MST 2008

As AZcachemeister said, receivers also typically transmit, usually on some
harmonic frequency of the transmit frequency.  AM and FM radios are
dangerously close in the spectrum to airline frequencies (close to FM, but
the signal has AM characteristics in the carrier method, as I understand
it--doubtless ShadowAce or somebody will fine tune this if it isn't
accurate).

There are reports that some spies have been detected based on detection of
the transmitter elements of their receivers.

So the "logic" probably goes like this: Since radio receivers also transmit,
they might interfere with aircraft electronics or communications.  A GPS
receiver is a radio receiver, so it too must be capable of interfering.
Ergo, we can't allow it.  (Never mind the details of the frequency and
modulation....)  Perhaps now somebody is doing some actual RF emissions
testing and deciding GPSr's are acceptable.