[Az-Geocaching] Blackberry?

Will will47096 at cox.net
Tue Feb 26 07:49:34 MST 2008

I have had a Blackberry (crackberry) Curve for about three months now and
yes I have been accused of being a "Crack' Addict.  Mine did come with a GPS
application but to use it you had to subscribe ($$) and since I have a turn
by turn GPS I didn't see the need to buy it.

Subsequently I installed two really neat must have (free) tools and both
have GPS enabled mapping.

Yahoo Go! is really neat and has lots of features.  I didn't install the new
Beta version as I heard it was not as good.  Google mobile updater lets you
install several cool tools... including Google maps and Goggle Docs.  With
both the yahoo Go maps and the Google Maps you can get your current location
and it shows up as a blue "blip" on the screen.  You can use the satellite
view as well as the streets.  Your current location does update real time
also.  As you drive the blip changes to show where you are.  It is pretty
accurate even inside some buildings.  It is pretty cool to be in a
restaurant and it shows your location to even the section of the building
you are in.  It is good to search from the maps because it does plot what
you are searching for on the map and you can get driving directions to
addresses etc.  I used it once to find a friend's house when I left my gps
at home and it took me right to his house.

Also  Google Docs is a neat application that lets you store Word, Excel and
PowerPoint files on the Google server to retrieve and view on your
Blackberry... helping me to overcome one of the big disadvantages of the
Blackberry... no local file storage!  Storing them on Google Docs at least
lets me access them for reference it just takes a little longer to pull them
down than it would if they were stored locally, and if I get out of coverage
they are not available.

All in all a good little tool to stay in touch and informed and keeps you
occupied in a Doctor's waiting room!

Will
Sport Trac/k