[Az-Geocaching] FW: Arizona Game and Fish wants to hear from ou

noshdoo tsoh geocaching at deepsouthwest.com
Mon Nov 20 18:43:55 MST 2006

I agree pretty closely with RTW's conclusions about ATVs on Arizona's public
land. The amount of new trails in the area east of Florence has multiplied
exponentially. It's unrecognizable compared to what it was 15 years ago. If
I hadn't spent time there then, I wouldn't believe it could've changed so
much in such a short period of time. The ATV track growth is happening
statewide, and surely all across the West.

Traditional 4WD vehicles cause damage too, of course. But they do not tend
to create new roads. They generally stay on existing roads. That is the key
here, I think. It's not that traditional 4WD users are more environmentally
aware as a whole, but rather, new road-building on that scale is a lot of
work. It's easier to stick to existing roads. ATVs, though, can squeeze
easily between most Sonoran Desert vegetation, and they do, creating new
tracks in the process.

I am almost always wary of government intervention which restricts
recreational use on public lands, but ATV use is very destructive when left
unrestricted. It also negatively affects almost all other land users,
recreational or not, human or not. Not just the tracks and passageways, but
also the incessant noise which radiates for miles around from the activity.

Obviously, ATVing is a very popular activity in Arizona with explosive
growth. It has a place on our public lands (many places). But it doesn't
have to be everywhere. We don't have that much roadless desert left and
these scars on the land won't heal in our lifetimes. So in this case, the
government restriction sounds better than the alternative of the status quo
to me.

Public lands access is not being blocked with this proposal, as has been
suggested. Closure of vehicular trails does not block your access to public
land. If you don't believe it, try walking.

  _____