[Az-Geocaching] OT - Cell providers

Lisa G. lisasjunk at buppas.com
Mon Nov 13 14:45:33 MST 2006

EMa wrote:

> Sorry to ask an off topic question but have a couple of them I need
> some advise on.............
>
> 1.  My contract is up and I cant decide if I should stick with Verizon
> or switch to Cingular!  Any suggestions??
>
> 2.  Either way I want to upgrade my phone...Are the phone/PDA's any
> good for geocaching purposes?  Do they get a good signal?

I'll offer my experience.  I've used Verizon for several years, and have
been very happy with them.  Very few dropped calls, and the ones I have
had drop have always been while on calls with a cell phone with a
different service provider, so I can't say whether I can blame Verizon
for those or not.  My father has Cingular (migrated from AT&T).  You
know their commercials, "we're raising the bar for you"? He constantly
jokes, "yeah, they raise that bar right up so that it trips you and you
fall on your face".  He lives in Texas, though.  I have another friend
in Chandler who has Cingular (also migrated from AT&T before they
merged) and he is constantly dropping on me, or his voice comes through
garbled.

That said, I have another local friend who is on Cingular and has no
complaints.  I know several people who have Verizon (both local and out
of state) and I've never heard complaints from any of them about their
service. <standard disclaimer> I have no affiliation with either
company. </standard disclaimer>

Regarding phones...are you talking about the GPS capabilities that are
available on phones now?  I don't think they have the antenna strength
that a regular GPSr unit would.  I'd guess for urban caching they'd be
fine; probably not for rural areas.  That said, I've never really looked
at one.

Lisa "PoledraDog"