[Az-Geocaching] Team My Blue Heaven's Caches

Jim Scotti jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU
Tue May 2 02:50:26 MST 2006

Figured I'd pipe up on this topic, being one of Scott's contemporaries and a
fellow Southern Arizona geocacher and all....

Scott and I go way back.  We joined Groundspeak at around the same time
(actually, I just looked it up, I joined on August 17, 2001 and Scott joined
on October 11, so I've got about 2 months on you, Scott! :-P ).  I first
crossed paths with Scott when he was the first to find my very first
geocache, "Surveying" the Desert (GC27BF) which I placed in early November of
2001.  I got a laugh out of his log as he described taking a shortcut to the
cache rather than the trail and I think I e-mailed him about his visit (being
a new cache owner and all...) and our friendship grew from there.

In those days it seemed like there were only about 5 of us in Tucson
geocaching and about twice that many geocaches - let me get my cane out as I
say "That was before geocaching was a glimmer in Dirk's (of ShadowAce) eye."
Between the two of us, we probably doubled the number of caches down here in
short order and over the years, kept paralleling each other in odd ways -
"Great minds think alike" I would say....  For example, we both completely
independently and without any prior discussion placed Altoid Tin microcaches
magnetically attached to footbridges several miles apart within a day of each
other....

One of our most fun collaborations was a geocaching/baseball trip up to
Phoenix in August 2002.  The Mets were playing the D'Backs at the BOB and
Scott and I decided to go to the game and since we were going that way, to
make it a geocaching expedition and take the scenic route up to Phoenix.  It
was a great day and resulted in my holding the record for a short time on
most cache finds in Arizona in one day (we visited one cache that Scott had
already found, namely 910.285 which we both I think still agree is probably
the most fun cache we've ever found - since Scott had already found it, he
stood off coily trying not to laugh as I hunted for it...  So Scott found 1
less cache that day than I did.).

While I think both Scott and I have not been quite as enthusiastic about
geocaching lately, I know we both still enjoy the sport and have tried to
stay in touch (with occasional rounds of golf if nothing else).  I know I'm
going to miss him, but hopefully we've not heard the last of Team My Blue
Heaven.

I hope you don't have to break any car windows while geocaching in Denver,
Scott!  (See
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e763cdcd-df5a-4c7c-90f2-86d4d4adb13f
to have a good laugh at Scott's expense....)  And always remember "You should
never have to use the word 'aftermath' when cache hunting." (Scott Wood,
December 9, 2001.)

Jim.

On Mon, 1 May 2006, Scott Wood wrote:

> I have had a few teams adopt some of our caches, but we still have two left
> that need good homes.  They are:
>
> Beyond a Prickly Cache   GC5753
>
> Buenos Aires   GC922C
>
> Beyond a Prickly Cache is fairly close to Tucson, and close to a couple other
> caches in the area.  I really like the location and would hate to have to
> archive it.
>
> Buenos Aires is well off the beaten path, and doesn't get very many visits,
> but is in an interesting place and should stay active.
>
> I haven't officially announced why our traditional caches need good homes.
> Ann and I will be moving to Denver this fall.  We are very excited about the
> move, and look forward to doing some caching up in the Colorado mountains.
>
> Please let me know if you are willing to take over either of the listed
> caches, and I will take care of everything.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 USA                 http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/